The first official documentation of Ukrainians settling in the city of Hudson dates back to 1910.
Many immigrants worked for the Hudson Portland and later Atlas Cement Company.
On May 31, 1916 the Ukrainians formed a religious corporation named “The Ruthenian Catholic Church of Saint Nicholas of Hudson, NY, Inc.” The first Eastern Rite services were held at Saint Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Hudson.
Finally, in 1922 the Ukrainian community purchased a property on which to build its church. The property consisted of a private residence — a spacious three-story house that was remodeled into a chapel and residence for the priest.
When the buildings at Atlas Cement Company were to be demolished, the parish asked that the bricks be donated for the construction of its new church – a request that the Company generously granted. Parishioners transported and stored the bricks until it was time to build the new church. The first service in the new church was held on July 4, 1943, with the dedication taking place on Labor Day, September 9, 1943. In time, the church interior acquired its traditional Eastern Rite design. An iconostasis was installed, and icons decorated the walls.
The parish was constantly in need of more spacious quarters, and in 2005 an opportunity presented itself. The former Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Roman Catholic Church, which had been closed since 1989, became available. The new owners of the church property were willing to exchange it for the property owned by St. Nicholas parish. A one-on-one exchange took place. The interior was decorated in the Eastern Rite tradition by installing the iconostasis and other church furnishings. The official re-dedication and blessing of the new church was performed by Bishop Paul Chomnycky and Bishop Basil Losten.
Through the prayers of the Mother of God, O Savior save us.
from the Divine Liturgy
Eastern vs. Western Catholics?
How is the Eastern Church different from the Western (Roman) Rite?